West Branch Angler Resort: A Secluded Escape from NYC
About West Branch Angler Resort
The West Branch Angler Resort is in Hancock, New York, on the Pennsylvania/New York state border and lies along the Delaware River. This resort is a fly fishing resort but is not exclusive for fisherman. This resort has 30 private cabin rentals and offers guided fly fishing and lessons for additional fees. Many of the cabins sit directly on the Delaware River, specifically the West Branch section of the river system.
There are multiple types of cabins depending on the size of your group and the amenities you are looking for. Executive, CEO, and Eagle series all sit directly on the river for some peaceful, waterfront views.
- Grandview – one bedroom with a double bed, two single bed, and sleeper sofa.
- Mountain View – one bedroom with two double beds. More information below.
- Executive 1-bed – bedroom has two single beds, along with additional single bed and sleeper sofa
- Executive 2-bed
- CEO – 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms luxury cabin, perfect for groups
- Eagle – includes private fishing access
- The Lodge – similar to a bed and breakfast (6 available rooms)
Not an avid fly-fisherman but want to learn? You don’t need to have any experience or gear to fly fish at the West Branch Angler Resort. Opt for fly fishing guide services, and you will find expert guides that are trained and certified by the Orvis Company (world leader in fly fishing!). The resort says that many of their guides have been there for many years.
Guided trips start at $425 for a full day ($350 for half day) for 1-2 people.
They also have a 5-Stand shooting field. I am personally not familiar with this but you can rent all necessary gear at the resort if you wish to participate ($25/round if you don’t have a gun). Also, within 15 miles are multiple options for hiking trails, as well as boat or bike rentals.
Mountain View Cabin
The most budget-friendly cabin is the Mountain View series. There are three available and ideal for groups looking to be more secluded from the resort as they are just down the road from the rest of the cabins. There is also no Wi-Fi which allows you to really embrace the seclusion and escape from the wired world (although there is a TV). These cabins sit on a quiet pond and are nestled up to small mountains that are heavily wooded. Regretfully, we chose to leave our hiking shoes behind but would make it a point to bring them in the future to explore the woods a bit more.
Cost: Just under $200/night plus a $10 pet fee
View of the living room from the bedroom door. The kitchen is also open to the living room. Walk right out the front door to a deck with stairs down to the campfire!
These cabins come with two double beds.
Adorable and spacious bathrooms!
How to Get There
The driving route from New York City is considered one of the most scenic in the state. As there was a scenic option, we opted for this route on the way to the resort. It was beautiful, following the Delaware River with very little traffic. Note that this route will take much longer, especially if you opt to stop at some of the scenic overlooks along the way. The scenic route will take 5-6 hours depending on pit stops. The quickest route, however, is just over 3 hours, which makes for a great weekend escape.
This is not a public transit-friendly getaway; you will need to rent a car. We rented a car outside of the city but returned it within Manhattan, so there was a $15 toll to drive into the city.
Tips for Visiting
- No kill! Catch and release fishing only.
- You can buy firewood from the fly shop. Don’t forget a lighter!
- For you chefs, there IS a full basic kitchen, so you are not restricted to food that can be cooked over a campfire.
- The reservation lodge and fly shop closes at 5. If you arrive after 5, they will leave keys for you, but if you need anything else it may be difficult.
- Make sure you know where to turn before you get too close to the resort, since you’ll likely lose service!
- For Petites: They sell Patagonia gear in the fly shop and had a good selection of XS an XXS!
For more information, please visit West Branch Angler Resort.