First of all, I’m interested if anyone reading this does anything competitive with crossfit or weightlifting? Just some ideas floating around in my head. I really enjoy working towards a goal and having something to accomplish rather than feeling like I’m mindlessly just “getting better”. Can anyone relate?
Recap: “I’ve decided to add a weekly topic sharing my weekly workouts and food finds. I know many of my followers are only interested in outdoor adventures but at the same time, many adventurers care about their health as well. I know there are a lot of people who like to improve their athletic ability and stamina so that their outdoor adventures are more enjoyable. For example, I know that if back and shoulders being stronger means that my backpacking trips will leave me less sore. I’ll be more able to focus on the scenery, the company, and the adventure itself.”
Saturday – Morning bootcamp followed by a delicious bagel and then “Bro Sesh” for lower body (1.5 hrs of legs/butt).
- Bootcamp: Started with a 600m run with weighted ball (I hate these!). Then ladder from 5 to 12 (do 5, then 6, then 7, etc) and back down to 5 of ball slams and weighted ball standups (not bad). The next drill was max effort for 1 minute of: ball squats (did 30 at 15lb), push-ups (did 35), and ball sit-ups (did 22). Finally, up to 10 rounds of 200m run, followed by burpee-ball slams. Exhausting but no one made it past 5-6 rounds in the time allotted so at least we didn’t have to do 10!
- Bro sesh lower body – weighted lunges, squats, sore legs
Sunday – “Bro Sesh” for arms. Bench pressing, pullups, dips, pushups.
Monday – Strength with Metcon
- Strength: Back squat day! See below. It was supposed to be challenging but I found it really easy soooo guess what? Next week I re-check my 1RM. Maybe it’s higher now???
- Metcon : 21-15-9 Power cleans (did 53 lbs) and then 42-30-18 sit-ups
Tuesday – Strength (bench press)
- Supposed to be 70% of maximum doing 8 rounds of 3 reps. I wanted to push myself today so I just did as much as I felt I could maintain doing 3 reps of (63 lbs).
Wednesday – Strength with Metcon
- Strength: Front squat day. We did front squat back lunches and I did 70 lbs (supposed to be 50-60% of maximum (which was 108) but pushed myself).
- Metcon: Teams of 2! 12 deadlifts, 9 hang power cleans, 6 shoulder to overhead. 6 rounds each. SO HARD OMG!
Thursday – Strength (strict press)
- Similar to Tuesday, supposed to be 70% of maximum doing 8 rounds of 3 reps. I pushed myself doing 53lbs (my previous 1RM).
- Then we had to do this “bear” thing I do not remember exactly what it was called but we have to start do power clean-front squat-push press-back squat-push press. 1, 2, 3, 4, then 5 times and increment the weight each time. Unfortunately this got hard really fast and I started too high so I failed on the 3rd round by sort of dropping the bar on my head. Yeah. Careful guys. I didn’t really drop it and I’m find but my muscles fatigued and I couldn’t lift it back up the way it was supposed to go. 🙁
Friday – Bars & Bells
- Deadlift: 4×12 (4 regular, 4 RDL, 4 sumo) at 65% of 1RM (1 rep max) – I did 95lbs
- Conditioning: “Tabata” circuit (40 seconds on 20 seconds rest) – ski machine, KB clean squat, row machine, KB lunge
Best Accomplishment? Doing 3 pullups at a time for 4-5 rounds without band assistance!
Drinking JYM before my workout helps with power and energy.
Food Finds & Eats
Food staples are currently:
- Trail mix
- Protein shakes
- Sweet potatoes
- Rotisserie chicken
- Working on adding more carbs for energy!!
Some favorites for the week?
- This breakfast, partially made by my husband. It’s chunks of roasted sweet potato, bacon, zucchini, and red pepper. But it was I who made the perfect soft-boiled egg!
- I’ve been using JYM as a preworkout but might try a new brand after I run out just for comparison. It definitely helps!
How was your week in fitness?